Natural child health using essential oils
This is the second in this series of posts on natural infant and child heath and wellbeing using safe yet extremely powerful Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils. (Read the first post in the series here). As a mother of a pre-schooler, I have found these support tools totally empowering because they’re very effective, fast-acting, easy to use and cost-effective. They are, in my opinion, one of the best things to have on-hand if you’re wanting to take a proactive and natural approach to your child’s health.
NOT ALL ESSENTIAL OILS ARE EQUAL
First things first, not all essential oils are created equal. The essential oil industry world-wide is largely unregulated and, therefore, what’s printed on the bottle can often be meaningless. I only use and recommend Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils because I can be 100% certain that they contain no solvents, pesticides, synthetics and other nasties – remember that everything we put onto our skin or inhale goes into our bodies. I don’t want to take the risk – do you?
ESSENTIAL OIL SAFETY AND CHILDREN
- Only use Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils on your child’s sensitive skin.
- Never use essential oils internally with children.
- Keep oils out of the reach of children at all times. Teach older children self-application only under adult supervision.
- If your child accidentally ingest oils, call poison control. It is extremely rare for a child to drink enough to be truly harmful but it’s better to be safe.
- If your child accidentally gets essential oil in their eye, don’t panic. But apply vegetable oil (such as coconut or olive oil) onto a tissue or cloth and place over child’s eye to draw out the stinging essential oil. NEVER apply water as this will drive the essential oils in deeper.
- Always dilute essential oils in a carrier oil (I use Fractionated Coconut Oil) before using topically on your child. Recommended dilution rates: Infants – 1 drop of essential oil per 1 Tablespoon (15 mls) of carrier oil; From 2 years of age – 1 drop of essential oil per 1 teaspoon (5 mls) of carrier oil.
- Avoid applying oils on child’s hands to avoid oils going into eyes accidentally.
COMMON ESSENTIAL OIL USES FOR CHILDREN
Calming – Dilute Lavender, Roman Chamomile or Serenity Restful Blend. Apply to child’s feet, to child’s clothing or bedding (it will not permanently stain), or diffuse into the air.
Digestive support – Dilute one or a combination of Digestzen Digestive Blend, Peppermint, Ginger or Fennel. Massage gently into child’s stomach or feet.
Ears – Dilute Lavender and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) and massage around (never inside) the ear and down towards the lymph nodes.
Fever – To help reduce a fever, dilute Lemon or Peppermint essential oils. Apply sparingly to back of child’s neck, behind ears, back and feet as often as required.
Skin irritations, aches and pains – For irritated skin (e.g. cuts, scrapes, bruises, burns, bites, itching): dilute Lavender and Melaleuca (Tea Tree) and/or Roman Chamomile. For sore muscles/joints and growing pains: Dilute Deep Blue/Ice Blue Soothing Blend. Apply topically on location.
Respiratory support – Dilute Breathe/Easy Air Respiratory Blend, On Guard Protective Blend, Rosemary, Lemon and or Thyme. Apply topically and/or diffuse into the air.
Immune support – For everyday support: Dilute On Guard Protective Blend. For top-shelf support: Dilute Melaleuca (Tea Tree) and Oregano. Apply topically to feet, and diffuse into air.
Would you like some samples to try for yourself? For further information about using Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils for health and healing for all ages from newborn to elderly, please contact me. You can also book an essential oils wellness consultation with me personally.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.